Sunday, June 13, 2010

This week's blog

Well, gang, I've tried all day to come up with something funny and amusing to share with you, but I've got nothing. My beloved and cranky cat of fifteen years, Phoenix, died Thursday with almost no warning. Some people will mock, others will shake their heads and wonder about wasted emotions on an animal. Still others out there will grieve and cry with me. To those I say thank you. Thank you for knowing and understanding the joy and love our 'furry' children bring to our lives. I was so lucky to have been there when Phoenix was born and privileged to have been there to hold him when he died. It truly broke a piece of my heart to say goodbye to my only child. As in life my cat went out on his own terms and his own way.

Phoenix spent most of his life pissing people off. He was really good at that. Toward the end of his life he mellowed some. By that I mean if you bribed him with treats he'd let you touch him. My sister loved his gluttony as it's the only way he was ever nice to her. Me, on the other hand, I'd pick him up and love on him just to piss him off. He'd growl, jump from my arms and stick his tail up in the air. Ten minutes later he'd be back, jumping on top of me, just to show me who really was in charge.

Animals may never talk in a way humans understand, but they communicate with us all the same. I thank God for that because I knew even at the very end, my Phoennie knew I was there and I loved him.

So that's all for this week. Kiss and hug your four legged kids and remember what special blessings they really are. Truly gifts from God to love us so completely without boundaries or conditions.

Here's poem I think sums up everything. I'd give credit to the author but no one knows who it is.

The Last Battle
If it should be that I grow frail and weak
and pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this--the last battle--can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
Don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
What is to come can hold no fears
You'd not want me to suffer, so.
When the time comes, please let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me til the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
it is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close--we two--these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.
-Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment